This specialist course will provide you with knowledge and skills in producing additional products for your brewery and covering popular areas of sour beers, kombucha and wild fermentations.
Expanding your portfolio is a pressing need in contemporary brewing but often results in a broader catalogue of beers which may become difficult to manage. Diversification into additional products is a valuable means of building on your brands and reputation while opening new markets and outlets. This course provides an introduction to additional fermentations with a strong focus on the microbiology and production requirements of the following products:
- Sour beers – including isolating and managing wild yeast and bacteria.
- Kombucha tea ferments.
- Cider and fruit wines.
The course fee is £215. A £50.00 non-refundable deposit is required to secure a booking. The balance has to be paid six weeks prior to the course start date. Price includes VAT.
At the end of the Wild and Natural Fermentation Workshop you will have:
- Seen an overview of specific products which can be included in your portfolio.
- Had opportunity to develop skills in recipe formulation for a variety of additional products.
- Seen examples of additional fermentation products and their means of production.
- Had opportunity to develop skills in handling samples for microbiology assessment.
- Had opportunity to develop skills in using microscopes to view yeast and bacteria and assess the characteristics of microorganisms.
- Viewed and discussed the costs and finances of producing additional fermentation products.
- Viewed and discussed the critical control stages of the production process of specific products with commercial brewers and tutors.
- Received an introduction to flavour assessment with fault and flavour recognition.
- Discussed options on developing a quality assurance scheme with tutors experienced in laboratory operations.